content on africa@osgeo list and Gavin intro

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Wed Apr 5 08:29:15 EDT 2006

Of course this list is open to <any> 'open GIS' topic, including dev
chatter...

By way of introducing myself, I've been 'doing GIS' for 10 years, mainly
in the environmental field. I started off 100% 'proprietary' but over
the last few years have become an ardent user and promoter of anything
open source and anything that promotes an open philosophy. It's great to
see the interest and uptake in OS GIS locally.

I've used these to varying degrees: PostGIS, GeoServer, MapServer,
InterMap, GeoNetwork, gvSIG, uDIG, MapBuilder, GRASS, Thuban.

I haven't personally done any hacking with them, but colleagues where I
was working the last couple of years at the 'ICT for Earth Observation'
group at the Meraka Institute used, hacked and contributed back to GDAL
and OSSIM. It's really satisfying to be able to do all the work and
research you need to with 100% OS tools and know that others can benefit
from your improvements.

I'm now working on sustainability research and Sensor Web Enablement in
the mining industry and plan to use only OS tools. Already in a big
project consortium we are using OS tools and open standards to
collaborate. One of the OS tools facilitating this is called COGIS. If
Hardy reads this far he can expand on COGIS and let you know when and
where you can get it.

Gavin

PS: a great book to read is 'The Success of Open Source' by Steven
Weber.