[OSGeo Africa] FW: UDIG QUERIES

Dewald Troskie nucleotic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:17:48 EST 2007

Hi All,

To answer some of Deon's questions:

1.     He should be able to read the MrSID images via GDAL on a Mapserver
WMS server by hooking into it from uDIG. It actually runs faster than what
ArcMap can read the files from disk or via AGX (ArcGIS         Explorer)
reading directly from the file.

2. This question can be a multi-headed monster. There are several options:

*

	You can install onto each machine and then connect to the central
datasource or web service you need (PostGIS, WMS, etc).
*

	Does the network involve virtual applicances or thin-clients? What
is the requirements of uDIG in the scope of what the client want's to do? If
virtualization is involved, installing it on each machine is not really an
option, and it would probally be best to run uDIG on a dedicated GIS Server
and have thin-clients / virtual connections use sessions on the machine.

3.     From what I gather reading the rest of the mail more indepth, the
best options for adding tracklog data (connecting mobile devices with a GPS)
would be through the GPSBabel library and importing the tracklog into the
database. Alternatively you could also interface the mobile devices from
uDIG via GPSBabel and utilise the data, tracklog and any attribute
information you may entered related to the spatial entities (land parcels,
POI....).

As for the rest of Deon's mail, another Desktop GIS product that could be
used is Accuglobe 2007 (http://www.accuglobe.net/). I am not sure of the
extent of it's openness in relation to OSS, but I do know it is a free
product that just requires registration to download and use. I have been
following the product closely for the last 6 months, and suffice to say it
is very powerful, has multi-platform installers (Windows, Linux, Mac (I
think)), and is faster than both uDIG and qGIS at this stage. It also can
read various raster formats and vector data from PostGIS and shapefiles, and
from Personal Geodatabases (I haven't tried that one though).

Gavin, if Deon needs more info or help, he is welcome to contact me for
further assistance.

HTH,

Dewald Troskie
Systems Developer
SWAP Mobile (Pty) Ltd.
dewald at swapmobile.co.za
www.swapmobile.co.za
(t) +27 (12) 460 4254
(f) +27 (12) 460 5871
(m) +27 (82) 615 0248
176 Olivier Street | Brooklyn | Pretoria
P.O. Box 340 | Groenkloof | 0027 | South Africa

  _____