[OSGeo Africa] GIS teacher / student workbook development

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Jun 9 18:22:42 EDT 2008

Hi Sindile

As one of the co-authors of QGIS, I am very pleased to see you are
using QGIS in your school education programme. I have downloaded the
geography course guideline from

http://www.education.gov.za/Curriculum/SUBSTATEMENTS/Geography.pdf

And will examine it more closely over the next few days in order to
get a better feel for your requirements. I recently completed work
with the founder of QGIS (Gary Sherman) where we created a customised
(simplified) version of QGIS for use in K-12 education programme in
schools in Alaska, USA. The work was under contract to the University
of Alaska, Fairbanks.
(http://www.institutenorth.org/servlet/content/geography_curriculum.html).

I would be most delighted if you would give me an opportunity to
support the work you are doing in developing a GIS curriculum for K-12
students in South Africa. I believe I am well placed to do this,
having in depth development experience of QGIS, experience in
developing K-12 educational products based on QGIS, and a strong
interest in seeing QGIS and open source software becoming part of the
skills and capabilities of young South Africans.

I am currently based in Cape Town, and would be delighted to make a
presentation at your convenience.

Best regards

--
Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release Manager
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net