[OSGeo Africa] RE: Google maps API - whats legal?

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Wed Aug 25 04:43:42 EDT 2010

On 25 August 2010 07:42, Walter Smit <walter at digitalgeography.co.za> wrote:
> Hi Grant
>
> I have read that - but I don't think it applies to my case. As I explained -
> I wont be uploading my data to Google, so there is no way for them to use it
> in searches/Maps/Earth. I will be displaying my data (using my own
> webserver) *on top of* whatever Google has. Think of it as a two different
> layers - from two different systems.
>
> If I was going to use Google to display my data (ie upload my data to their
> servers) then the sections you mentioned would apply. And as you point out -
> even then you can opt out of making your content searchable.

Read the FAQ Item here:
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/faq.html#tos_optout
If you use the Marker (POI) API call, you grant Google a perpetual
license to use your POI on Google Maps and Search. The javascript
submits your POI to Google. The FAQ details how to opt-out.

Google uses POI on their live maps site. Sometimes with hilarious
consequences: Driving directions from "Tony Blair"?
http://googlemapsfail.tumblr.com/post/806817281/hat-tip-to-the-grauniad-driving-directions

In closing... if Pick'nPay's website displayed all their store
locations on a Google Map, unless opted-out, google may then use those
locations details on maps.google.co.za or in search results
independently of Pick'nPay.

Regards
 Grant