[OSGeo Africa] Projection systems in Kenya

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Wed Oct 24 14:43:46 PDT 2012

    Hi Wesley ,

    Perhaps a mail to the Rangers head office ?
    I am sure they have a GIS / Spatial person in the Dept.

    There is a Tanzanian GIS User Group that you could try
    ( Ok Tanzania is South of Kenya but there may be some one there who can
    help you )

    tzgisug-owner at mail.habari.co.tz

    You could also try Mike Shand who is a cartographer with interests in
    TZ and moderates the list

    http://www.ges.gla.ac.uk:443/staff/mshand

    Also look here

    http://www.fig.net/news/fig_2002/congress_prize_ogalo.pdf

    Section 2.2 Provision of Control

    There are FOUR projection systems for Kenya

    UTM Clarke 1880 Modified

    Cassini Soldner ( Clarke 1858 )

    East African War System

    Local Origin System

    According to the ......... /

    Government of Kenya Published Survey Act CAP 299

    there are two systems in use

    1.)   UTM Projection Zones 36 or 37 using Clarke 1880 modified

    2.) Cassini Soldner

    All explained in the document which can be downloaded

    Republic of Kenya Ministry of Lands

    http://www.lands.go.ke/index.php?option=com_moofaq&Itemid=53

    The Institute of Surveyors of Kenya

    http://www.isk.or.ke

    Kenya Forestry Research Institute

    http://www.kefri.org

    Forest Estate in Kenya

    http://www.forestpartnership.org/fcp/node/70

    Kenya Natiuonal Carbon Accounting System
    Financially supported by the Government of Australia

    Seems to be an interesting game to be in -- REDD

    I wonder if MONDI and SAPPI have got wind of it ?

    ( I do know some GIS guys there )

    CM