[OSGeo Africa] GIS terms in Afrikaans?

Antony Cooper ACooper at csir.co.za
Fri Oct 26 05:52:23 PDT 2012

Dear Frank

The Tweetalige Rekenaarwoordeboek/Bilingual Computer Dictionary by N Coetzee, NF du Plooy and AD de V Cluver, published by McGraw-Hill in 1985, has the following translations:

zooming = zoem
panning = beeldbeweging
attribute (characteristic) = attribuut, karakteristiek
attribute (feature) = kenmerk
attribute (property) = eienskap
buffering = bufferwerking

There is probably a more recent dictionary available.  You could also contact the Woordeboek van die Afrikaanse Taal (WAT), which provides a free language service.  See: http://www.wat.co.za/

Regards
Antony

>>> On 26 October 2012 at 13:37, in message
<MWSJHBMC04c8e16675d6954619ba4af8aea3a09909 at MWSJHBMC04>, "Frank Sokolic"
<sokolic at worldonline.co.za> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do any of the South African list members know whether there are Afrikaans
> translations for GIS terms like zooming, panning, attributes, buffering,
> etc.? I'm busy translating some material into Afrikaans and all the
> Afrikaans-speaking GIS users I've asked use the English terms. Apparently
> Afrikaans translations don't exist. Is this true?
>
> Regards, Frank.
>
> --
> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
> legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
> The full disclaimer details can be found at
> http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

> MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.

and is believed to be clean.