[OSGeo Africa] reminder: Survey of FOSS GIS usage in South Africa

Llewellyn Gush llewellyn at jgdm.gov.za
Tue Sep 4 00:00:34 PDT 2012

Hi Gavin

I am the IT manager at the Joe Gqabi District Municipality in the
Eastern Cape. Covering the area

  * Mt Fletcher,
  * Maclear,
  * Ugie,
  * Rhodes
  * Rossouw
  * Barkly East (Main Campus)
  * Lady Grey
  * Sterkspruit
  * Aliwal North
  * Burgersdorp
  * Jamestown
  * Venterstad
  * Steynsburg

I have implemented a FOSSGIS (PostGIS) solution, using DMS consulting in
East London (Dylan Rawlings is the director and I know that he has quite
a few other installations out there dylan at mapserver.co.za and does in my
opinion excellent work).

The system is web based though not yet available on a public portal as
some of the maps that we have are proprietary and for Government use
only. WE use QGis to access the database directly. I currently have
problems in this area in that the GIS Technician has "NO GIS" experience
beyond a few very brief in service training sessions on Arc
GIS................ so the updating and data capture process has stalled
until a suitable staff member is identified that will understand the system.

We are looking to extend the functionality of this system to include a
CRM module as well as possibly a asset maintenance and management
module. All will be an extension of the existing system. This is
necessary as the District Municipality is taking over the Water Service
Provision function from the local Municipalities. With the additional
developments I would like to link the system to the customer debtor info
and then make it available for customer queries via our existing website
(Joomla installation). I have other OSS installations that work very
well thank you.

As government policy goes it may be interesting to get hold of some of
the policy docs that have been published by the Government IT Officers
Council (GITO) as they are responsible for the formulation of policy
especially the following docs

  * OSS Policy
  * MIOS doc (Minimum Interoperability Standards in Gov)

These are most interesting for the TOTAL disregarding of these policies.
Not one dept in Gov seems to care about them and merrily goes their own
way purchasing proprietary software at what cost.

If you will allow me the following.

In RSA we have approx population of 50 mil
Approx half are of working age - 25 Mil
Approx 20 % work in Gov - 5 Mil
Approx 50 % have computers 2.5 Mil

All the above figure may be to some extent disputed - give me the
accurate ones if you can

For every windows PC the following costs are incurred - exclusive of the
hardware costs

1 x copy Win (XP) Win 7) OS - R2000-00
1 x copy MS Office - R2660-00 - The average user using maybe 1% of the
full functionality of the product
1 x copy AntiVirus product - R500-00

That is +/- R5000 per PC

With a total number of 2.5 mil PC's is a total investment in a single
vendors products of *R12.5 BILLION*. Makes it worse that this vendor is
offshore and that the products are paid in Dollar based currency.

With the usual life span of a PC being 3 to 4 years the replacement cost
incurred annually in MS Licensing is *3.125 BILLION*.

Besides the risk management issue associated with the huge virus threats
to MS Win this makes NO economic sense to me whatsoever, the sooner we
can have someone/organisation start to make people aware of this and
that there are other products available that will cost the tax payer
rather less.

I'm afraid that yes it gets better but I will leave that for another day

Regards

Llewellyn Gush

Llewellyn Gush
Information Technology Manager
Joe Gqabi District Municipality

Email llewellyn at jgdm.gov.za
Tel : "045 979 3070"
Cell: "082 573 4112"
Fax: "086 699 3633"
Website "www.joegqabi.gov.za"

This Email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
system manager at the following address "postmaster at jgdm.gov.za". Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Joe Gqabi
District Municipality. The recipient shall check this email and any
attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no