[OSGeo Africa] Soils Map for Zambia

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 02:51:47 PST 2013

There was a global soils database from one of the UN agencies (ISRIC I
think), consisting of sample points with full profile data that I used a
few years ago at the CSIR. Bob Scholes and others at the CSIR were
involved in its development. But it was the most useful soil data source
I came across at the time.

If you wanted a map you pulled out the variables you were interested in
at the depth required and interpolated your own map. There's really no
such thing as 'a soil map' since soil classes are so fuzzily defined and
fuzzily distributed, as well as varying over the profile.

The definitive global soil project you probably want is SOTER. The ISCW
would be the best local source for that.

Here's a list I found:
http://www.itc.nl/~rossiter/research/rsrch_ss_digital.html