[OSGeo Africa] Android based apps for navigation purposes

Wes Roberts wes at biocarbonpartners.com
Mon Jan 7 04:19:23 PST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Many thanks for all the advice, I appreciate the time taken to help.

I am really looking forward to seeing where QGIS mobile ends up, right now it is a bit buggy and not really ready for operational use (IMHO). I will also check out the various suggestions made below. Unfortunately my galaxy note does not support google earth else I would use that. I can however explore it using the Pocket and XCover we intend using in the field. In terms of navigation I think I used the incorrect term, we are not looking for turn by turn navigation rather a distance and bearing to a point of interest would suffice. We will be working offline all of the time as our site is fairly remote with patchy cell network. As such, all data must be on the device when we leave.

Will post an update when I return,
Wesley

Wesley Roberts PhD
GIS and Remote Sensing Professional
BioCarbon Partners
Email:   wes at biocarbonpartners.com
Tel:       +27 83 5355 646 (South Africa)
Skype: roberts-w
www.biocarbonpartners.com