[OSGeo Africa] Unhackathon meet-up this Thursday night

Adi Eyal adi at burgercom.co.za
Tue Nov 5 04:02:57 PST 2013

Hi All

Code for South Africa hosts a weekly unhackathon event. The idea is to
come up with ideas for simple projects that have some sort of value to
society at large. This week we're focusing on applications around
historic elections data and creating an API on top of that data. The
API is a pre-cursor to a bunch of
elections-oriented applications. We have a couple of project ideas
already [1] but feel free to add your own (although please only do it
if you're willing to own the project):

The reason for creating an API for the data is that it is quite
unwieldy at the moment. The 2009 data weighs in at 155MB which is
impossible for non-programmers to manipulate. With the elections
coming up relevant applications could become quite visible and may
actually result in more informed voting.

Non-coders are welcome too, we need ideas for what sorts of tools
could be useful and provide real value for people to become more
informed voters.

Please RSVP on the meet-up page [2] so we can know who is coming.

[1] http://code4sa.hackdash.org
[2] http://www.meetup.com/Code-for-South-Africa-Hackers/events/149057732/

--
Adi Eyal
Director

phone: +27 78 014 2469
skype: adieyalcas
linkedin: http://za.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adi/Eyal
web: http://www.code4sa.org
twitter: @soapsudtycoon

For more information on how to participate in the open data community
in South Africa, go to: http://www.code4sa.org/#community