[OSGeo Africa] Data interchange between opensource GIS and ArcGIS

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Oct 23 17:36:40 PDT 2013

Hi

You can also use File Geodatabases from QGIS (basically any supported
GDAL/OGR format):

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_filegdb.html

and read only personal geodatabases:

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_pgeo.html

Though Gavin's suggestion is better since its an open format.

Regards

Tim

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:47 AM, Gavin Fleming <gavinjfleming at gmail.com>wrote:

> spatialite sounds like your answer if they have ArcGIS 10.2, which now has
> spatialite support [1]
>
> [1] http://blog.geomusings.com/**2013/08/07/spatialite-and-**
> arcgis-10-dot-2/<http://blog.geomusings.com/2013/08/07/spatialite-and-arcgis-10-dot-2/>
>

> On 23/10/2013 21:29, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I was just thinking that handing them a package similar to a file
>> geodatabase with the spatial data and perhaps tables as well in one
>> place would be preferable to a bunch of shapefiles and spreadsheets.
>>
>> Hanlie
>>
>>  Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:40:12 +0200
>>> From: "E. Ndava" <erick.ndava at gmail.com>
>>> To: Africa local chapter discussions <africa at lists.osgeo.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [OSGeo Africa] Data interchange between opensource GIS
>>>         and     ArcGIS
>>> gmail.com<CALcEFLx%2B2tJon8T9RjiRRBtOw%2BdMx59WMkdNzVXYmRa0CBxcTw at mail.gmail.com>

>>> Hi Hanlie
>>>
>>> Whatever format you use I perceive "The Organisation" will have to import
>>> the data you generate into their (geo)databases. So
>>>
>>> 1. In spite of the fact that "The Organisation" is using SDE, and if you
>>> have nothing against using shapefiles, you can still capture your data in
>>> Shapefile format. The organisation will then just import that
>>> appropriately
>>> into their 'store'.
>>>
>>> 2. or you could create a PostGIS database (using OpenGeo Suite for
>>> instance
>>> http://boundlessgeo.com/**solutions/opengeo-suite/<http://boundlessgeo.com/solutions/opengeo-suite/>), capture the data using
>>> QGIS. To get to your data 'The Organisation' will have to connect to your
>>> PostGIS instance. I understand ArcGIS 10.x supports reading from PostGIS,
>>> in that manner 'The Organisation' can connect to your PostGIS and export/
>>> import to their SDE.  If ArcGIS 9.x is in use then 'free' extensions like
>>> ST-*Links* SpatialKit (www.st-*links*.com) can be used to access the data
>>> still.
>>>
>>> Additionally from the PostGIS database you have the choice to export to
>>> various formats.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Erick

> Gavin Fleming
> t: 0218620670
> w: 0218630660
> c: 0845965680
> f: 0866164820
> Paarl
> South Africa
> 18°59'19.6"E 33°44'46.1"S

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
 * QGIS programming services
 * GeoDjango web development
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net