[OSGeo Africa] Address DB

S Coetzer geotech.sarel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 00:54:58 PDT 2014

Hi Zibusiso

Yes you are correct, Google, Bing, Open Street Maps does a great deal into
maintaining there data.

Apart from the huge advantage of consuming these services for FREE via an
API (sat-images, address data, navigation). Is it justifiable to state we
*can't* consume these services because there is no adherence to South
African standards ? Yes there is limitation on free use but even so, a
purchased license would still rid you from mundane expensive data
maintenance tasks let alone developing and hosting.

What is the point of an Service-oriented architecture system of we can't
consume services? (rhetorical question) or does the word "Free License"
make a service seem untrustworthy, not acceptable for corporate use?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Sarel Coetzer