[OSGeo Africa] AfricaGEO stand representing FOSS GIS (was OPENGEO Africa stand for OSGeo)

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Jan 15 22:33:24 PST 2014

Hi (

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Jeff McKenna <
jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I must admit, I think you are mixing "OPENGEO" with "AfricaGEO" and
> "OSGeo" throughout your message (and "FOSSGIS" is also an event in
> Germany, I was really confused), so it took me a little to understand
> you ha.

Ok I can see how my wonky message was totally confusing! In an attempt at
clearing up the confusion I have edited the subject line for this thread.
My apologies.

>  I believe you are asking for an OSGeo booth at the AfricaGEO
> event in July.

Indeed!

> In fact I will be a keynote speaker at AfricaGEO (I sent
> my bio and pic in this morning, small world), so I will be there for
> sure.  I am looking forward to experiencing Cape Town again.

Most excellent to have you here!

I don't have deep pockets, but I can obviously help man the booth.

Fantastic. Could we hit up OSGeo HQ for a couple of banners and a pile of
pamphlets and OSGeo live CD's?

Sorry again for the confusion from my original message.

Regards

Tim

> -jeff
>

> On 1/15/2014, 4:11 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Is there anyone out there with deep pockets and a carefree attitude
> > towards divesting themselves of their personal or corporate fortune? It
> > would be really good to put in a stand (business neutral, only
> > representing the FOSSGIS cause) at OPENGEO in July this year. I'm happy
> > to donate my time towards manning the stand and I reckon a few others
> > would be willing to pitch in to do the same. But I don't have the
> > capacity to do that and cover the cost of a stand in the exhibition all
> > - see below [1] for details on the costs involved, or to print up CD's
> > and flyers. It would be great to knock out say 1000 CD's with QGIS 2.2
> > (its gonna be awesome folks), GeoServer, etc etc on it so that we can
> > get one into the hands of every delegate there. ESRI and other big
> > proprietary vendors will be there and it is really time we let
> > especially government officials that they don't have to waste tax payer
> > money on proprietary software. Would anyone else like to volunteer to
> > help man a stand should the above mentioned deep-pocketed benefactor
> > come to the fore?
> >
> > [1] http://www.africageo.org/exhibitors
> >
> > Regards

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
 * QGIS programming services
 * GeoDjango web development
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net