[OSGeo Africa] AfricaGEO stand representing FOSS GIS (was > OPENGEO Africa stand for OSGeo)

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 00:01:02 PST 2014

I agree that it's a great idea to have an AfricaGeo stand at FOSS GIS.

I was just wondering putting a lot of effort into CDs are the right
way to go. It's so easy these days to download even hundreds of
megabytes oneself. But I don't have that much experience with trying
to win people over, so perhaps I'm wrong.

I suggest some effort may also be put towards a video display of QGIS
capabilities. A Google video search for QGIS gives 53 000 results; I'm
sure among those one could find four or five hours' worth of footage
that would be of interest and that one could loop through? The obvious
problem is that it won't all be of the newest version of the software,
but I think the focus should be on common tasks that people perform
and perhaps think they can't do (or easily do) in open source
software.

I would be willing to search for suitable videos if I could have some
input on what people think are the most important tasks to focus on. I
could probably also make some videos using the latest version of the
software, but I think ready-made ones would be a better way to go.

Another good item at the stand would be a poster with common myths
about open source software and rebuttals. I could design such a poster
using information from the Internet and can get help making it look
professional. It could probably be printed for a couple of hundred
rand at the most.

Cheers
Hanlie