[OSGeo Africa] KMZ/KML files in QGIS

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 21:51:44 PST 2014

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone else has come across this and found a solution.

A client sent me a KMZ file with his data. QGIS can't read KMZ, so I
'unzipped' the KMZ file and a doc.kml popped out.

When I add that to QGIS, I get a list of layers that I can choose to
add - the list is the same as the one I see when I open the KMZ file
in Google Earth.

But some of the layers don't display and have no attributes. I can see
the points in Google Earth and they have attributes there, but the
layer is empty in in QGIS. When I zoom to the layer, it's in the
correct spot, no features display.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Hanlie.