[OSGeo Africa] PLAAS Fact check No1 An Overview of Distribution of Land in South Africa

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Fri Mar 14 23:51:28 PDT 2014

    TIm ,

    It appears that there are TWO land audit processes / Projects

    One :
    Audit of State owned Land

    Two:
    Audit of privately owned land

    Please see below

    Apologies for the long insertion it is necessary in order to appreciate
    the full extent of this process and these new bills.
    and
    The insert here does not cover the half of it.

    I hope someone is thinking to themselves -- FICA for LAND !

    Someone should be putting together a detailed synopsis of all these Land
    Bills their meanings , implications and effects (Intended / unintended)

    I have not been able to find a website / blog that does this
    I would have thought that this would be a prime function of one or other
    of the politrical parties ( the FF+ seeing as they make such a lot of
    noise ) or other "think-tank".  Peter -- one of the SAGI chapters perhaps
    ?????

    There are South African legal academics -- who should be telling us what
    is going on.

    http://www.landlawwatch.co.za

    Where are you Prof Hanri Mostert ?
    ( Soon your work will be made a lot simpler as you will only have ONE
    land owner to concern yourself with -- THE STATE !)

    Without a full detailed and comnprehensive report and analysis of all
    this new Land Legislation we flounder in ignorance.

-------------------------------
    Rural Development welcomes approval of Land Audit Report by Cabinet

    As a Department of Rural Development and Land Reform, we welcome the
    approval of the report by Cabinet on the audit of registered state land
    and desktop analysis of private land ownership in South Africa. The
    purpose of the exercise was to determine first how much land is owned by
    the state, what it is used for and who the occupants/users are and what
    buildings and improvements exist on it.

    The physical inspection and verification of 1.15 million registered state
    land parcels commenced in mid-September 2011 and finalised in November
    2012. In December 2012 the after analysis of captured data we discovered
    that there was insufficient data on 110 000 field forms and therefore
    revisited 1
    10 000 land parcels. That exercise was completed in March 2013. Out of
    the collected and analysed information, the report reveals the users of
    state land; Government Departments, Municipalities, private individuals,
    organisations, State Owned Enterprises and what is used for, from
    agriculture, residential to conservation etc. The finding is that the
    state owns 14% (17 061 882 ha).

    Parallel to this exercise desktop analysis of private land ownership was
    conducted. We were hoping to achieve the following distribution from this
    exercise; Gender, Race, Nationality/Citizenship, Percentage share - where
    an individual owns a land as a result of company and ownership, trusts,
    Marital Status, Living Status. We could only achieve distribution per the
    following categories; Private Individuals (Natural persons), Companies
    (Close Corporations, PTY LTD, etc.) excluding State Companies, Trust as
    registered by the Master of the high court and Private Organization –
    Churches.The report will reveal that the privately owned land constitutes
    79% (96 550 791 ha).

    There is 7% which is un-account for. This includes areas such as former
    Transkei which was not surveyed and registered, parts of Limpopo
    including North of Kruger National Park which was also not surveyed and
    registered and some mis-matched data from Deeds office. A further
    exercise to deal with 7% is underway including surveying of state
    domestic facilities. Over 3 million hectares in Eastern Cape (former
    Transkie and Ciskie) have been surveyed not yet registered and over 1
    million hectares in Limpopo (including Kruger National Park) are soon to
    be registered.

    It must be noted that it is for the first time this kind of exercise is
    conducted in South Africa, we now have baseline information on land
    ownership. This information will be used to enhance the integrity of land
    register, which will serve as the basis for land planning and
    administration, and also assist in the road map as stipulated on the
    National Development Plan.

    Media enquiries:
    Mr Mtobeli Mxotwa, Ministerial Spokesperson
    Cell: 083 578 9023

    Issued by: Department of Rural Development and Land Reform

    http://www.gov.za/speeches/view.php?sid=39589