[OSGeo Africa] Fwd: [SDI-Africa] ESA free massive open online course (MOOC): Monitoring Climate from Space

Gavin Fleming gavin at kartoza.com
Wed Apr 22 23:44:07 PDT 2015

European Space Agency (ESA) massive open online course (MOOC):
Monitoring Climate from Space
5 weeks, 3 hr per week - Beginning 8 June 2015

ESA’s first MOOC, Monitoring Climate from Space, is open now for
learners to sign up for, with teaching set to begin on 8th June 2015.
Over five weeks, a selection of the world’s foremost scientists will
guide learners through the role of satellite data in supporting
decisions relating to climate change and sustainable development.

Designed for current and future policy makers, educators and anyone
communicating about climate change, the course will aim to give learners
a robust understanding of the datasets that should inform their work. As
awareness continues to grow of the threat that climate change presents
to our planet, the course will also appeal to a wider public interested
in examining environmental elements – such as ice thickness, aerosol,
sea level and soil moisture – in greater detail.

This course is designed for people who want to learn more about Earth
observation, climate change and monitoring climate from space. The
course can also help decision makers, policy makers, educators and
communicators, to gain a better insight into how satellite data can help
them assess the state of our climate and its changes, in order to
support climate science, and adaptation and mitigation decisions.

In this free online course, you will join leading experts and scientists
from ESA and key European research centres, to explore the science that
underpins Earth observation.

We will look at recent and current satellite missions that are providing
an archive of essential data; and find out how this data is used in
local and international policy and planning.

The course consists of five themed weeks:

Week 1 - Observing Climate Change from Space

What is Earth observation? How do we observe the Earth with satellites?
And what role does Earth observation play in climate policy and planning?

Weeks 2 & 3 - Earth Observation Techniques and Technology

How do we use different types of mission, instrumentation and data to
study changes to our atmosphere, land, oceans and ice?

Week 4 - Earth Observation in Action

How does Earth observation help us set policy; plan for climate risk,
resilience and adaptation; and manage resources and biodiversity?

Week 5 - Managing Earth Observation Data

How do we make sense of the large amount of data produced by Earth
observation? Can crowdsourcing and citizen science play a role in
developing climate change models?

Source: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/climate-from-space