[OSGeo Africa] How to load .ort DEM into QGIS

Gavin Fleming gavin at kartoza.com
Fri Apr 24 04:17:13 PDT 2015

Hi Melissa

I've just done one of the NGI ort files (2631AA07.ort) in GRASS (result
below). Pretty much everything you need is at
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Import_XYZ. Note there are multiple
spaces so you'll have to use the trick on that page to collapse multiple
spaces to single spaces. Also note the coordinates are south facing TM
so you'll have to do one zone at a time then project them together, or
project all to UTM or Albers first.

You should be able to import directly in QGIS (which uses GDAL) after
re-ordering the data as per http://www.gdal.org/frmt_xyz.html. However
on this one I tried, GDAL thinks the number of lines doesn't match the
size of the grid it has calculated so it fails., so I just switched to
GRASS.

Good luck and let us know when you've done it (and how you did it).

Gavin