[OSGeo Africa] SPAM: Farm boundaries and cattle density shapefiles for South Africa

Mike Caister caister at sai.co.za
Thu Feb 5 00:55:10 PST 2015

Hi Lizanne,

As Sarel said, Spatial data in shapefile format for
each province is available from the respective Surveyor General Offices-
contact details can be found at http://csg.dla.gov.za/contact.htm [3].
This data is usually extracted once a month. Alternatively data for any
or all provinces can be obtained from the Chief GISc Professional at the
Chief Surveyor General's office in Pretoria. This data may be up to
three months old. The data is free, but processing time and postage has
to be paid for.

The data includes 2 shapefiles relating to farms- one
is the parent farm boundary, while the other is the farm portion
shapefile. This shapefile also includes polygons for both farms that
have never been subdivided and the remainder of farms that have been
subdivided.

Regards,

MIKE CAISTER

Spatial Database Manager

Office of the Surveyor General: KwaZulu-Natal

Email:
macaister at sgkzn.gov.za

Tel: 033 355 2929

Fax: 033 394 7610

On
05.02.2015 07:54, Lizanne Roxburgh wrote:

> HI Everyone
>
> Could
anyone tell me how to get hold of a recent Farm boundaries shapefile for
South Africa? We have shapefiles from 2005, and it would be good to get
the most recent version.

> Also any ideas about cattle/ other
livestock density maps for South Africa?

> Thanks!
>
> Lizanne
>

> DR. LIZANNE ROXBURGH
>
> SENIOR SCIENTIST
>

> ENDANGERED
WILDLIFE TRUST

> W + 27 11 372 3600 | EXT 61 | F + 27 11 608 4682 |
M + 27 71 682 2157

> EMAIL:lizanner at ewt.org.za | WEB: www.ewt.org.za
[2] | SKYPE: lizinzambia

> PHYSICAL ADDRESS: Building K2, Pinelands
Office Park, Ardeer Road, Modderfontein, 1609, South Africa

> POSTAL
ADDRESS: Post Bag X11, Modderfontein, 1645, Johannesburg, South Africa

> GPS CO-ORDINATES: S 26° 05.591' | E 28° 09.247'
>
> _This E-mail
message and its attachments are subject to the disclaimer published at
http://www.ewt.org.za [2]._

Africa at lists.osgeo.org
> You can UNSUBSCRIBE at
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/africa [1]