[OSGeo Africa] Digitising a 1929 SG diagram

Chris Kirchhoff chris at kirchhoffsurveyors.co.za
Sun Jan 4 23:34:46 PST 2015

Hi
The units are in Cape roods, however the coordinates on the diagram are in a
Local system not connected to any formal CRS
In 1929 the surveyor who did this would have just made a local system for
farms surveyed in that area.
The way forward would be to see if any of the portions noted on the diagram
are in a formal CRS  - for example there is a note that says the remainder
of farm is now included in Mc taggerts camp  on diagram 1011/2000 - this
diagram should be in WGs84 coordinates.  You can then then use these
coordinates and the distances and directions on the diagram you are trying
to locate to calculate WGS84 coordinates for this diagram.

If you send me a kml of where the farm is approximately  I can try get you
SG  diagram shape file data for that area
Regards
Chris

- -
Chris Kirchhoff
Professional Land Surveyor
Tel : 082-773 4868
www.kirchhoffsurveyors.co.za

We believe good spatial information leads to superior planning, diminished
project risks, improved feasibility assessments and efficient resource
utilisation.