[OSGeo Africa] Field mapping GPS suggestions please

Gerhardus Geldenhuis gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com
Wed May 20 01:27:57 PDT 2015

Hi,
I am no expert but I can't imagine that a mobile phone will be equivalent
in accuracy to something like a Trimble. You most certainly pay for the
brand but you also pay of the more accurate internal clock that plays a
crucial part in the error margin. I have used a Garmin 60CSx with a lot of
success doing Geological mapping. If you add an external antenna that could
also help with accuracy.

Regards

On 20 May 2015 at 08:21, Taryn Riddin <taryn.riddin at live.co.za> wrote:

>   Good day
>
> Is anyone able to give me some advice please on choosing a GPS setup to
> map estuarine habitats in the field?  Our SA estuaries are often very
> narrow (1 to 2 km wide) and habitats small.  We distinguish between
> supratidal salt marsh, intertidal salt marsh, reeds and sedges, among other
> habitats.  Reeds and sedges often form a very narrow band along an
> estuary.  Accuracy needs to be as close as possible to 1 m2, perhaps even
> better.
>
> Someone suggested using a windows / android phone running ArcGIS Collector
> as the GPS in them is as good as a Trimble and also cheaper?  It could also
> be a separate GPS linked to a tablet, not necessarily a single hand help
> GPS unit with mapping options.  We use ArcGIS software for final map
> productions and analysis.
>
> I am not very clued up on these aspects so any advise would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Taryn

> *Research Associate - Botany DepartmentNelson Mandela Metropolitan
> UniversityP.O. Box 77000Port Elizabeth6070*

Gerhardus Geldenhuis