[OSGeo Africa] Getting ancient SG diagrams into GIS

Aslam Parker Aslam.Parker at drdlr.gov.za
Wed Nov 18 03:51:02 PST 2015

Hi

The 1904 and 1912 diagrams will be in local coordinate systems. You need to identify the accuracy of the coordinates that is required in GIS.

I would advise you to get the spatial data from the SG and see if you can relate the diagrams to that. It would be a good initial approximation of the property of the dimensions of the SG spatial data corresponds to the diagrams

If you require very accurate, you need to employ the services of a Land Surveyor who will search adjacent properties or the e-records of the Surveyor General for modern coordinates in the national control survey network.