[OSGeo Africa] Africa lists for OSGEO

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Aug 3 08:29:58 PDT 2016

Hi List/Gavin,
(Started a new thread so as not to hijack Gavin's :-)  )

Great on the QGIS UG conference plans, Gavin. :-)

Regarding the OSGEO lists for Africa, and acknowledging the various
language issues, would it not be an idea to promote an OSGEO-Africa list
that is split on language? It would still give a feeling of unity
(Africa), as it could be promoted as a unified group with a choice of
languages.
eg:   africa-eng at lists.osgeo.org and then of course africa-fra (aliased
also as 'fre') or africa-por - etc, and using the ISO639-2 codes.

On this matter, how do Austria, Germany & Switzerland structure their
lists? (All being German (and more) speaking).

Regards,
Zoltan

*On 2016-08-03 17:15, Gavin Fleming wrote:*
 > Hi all
 >
 > Pencil in 29 June - 2 July 2017 in Johannesburg for a FOSS4G SA /
Geo4All / QGIS User Group conference.

 > Yes I started this list in 2005 with members from all over Africa. It
currently has ~800 members, predominantly South African I guess, but
certainly many from all over Africa. FOSS4G2008 attracted many people
from all over Africa.

 > In the absence of any country-level OSGeo activity in Africa at the
time (well, OSGeo was only just starting up) the aim was to be an
inclusive, umbrella list. It is still the only OSGeo list for Africa,
except for a Senegal one that had a couple of posts in 2010. There's
nothing stopping anyone else in Africa from setting up another list or
Chapter with a geographic or linguistic emphasis [1]

 > We never formally registered an OSGeo chapter because of the Africa
vs South Africa debate. So to move forward, this Africa list remains as
an all-inclusive eponymous list but we'll probably proceed with
formalising a South African Chapter in the run-up to the conference next
year, unless I hear from you that we should stick with the inclusive
'Africa'...

 > warm regards and hope to see you at the conference next year!
 >
 > Gavin

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za