[OSGeo Africa] Units of measurement on 1946 SG diagram

Elizmay Vos e.vos.gis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 01:25:47 PST 2016

Hi
The Lo 19 tells you what the central meridian is and lets you know it is in
the Lo system. SA only switched to the metric system after 1961. so its
possible the units can be in feet.

On 28 February 2016 at 22:40, Sindile Bidla <sindile.bidla at geoilocate.co.za>
wrote:

> I did a quick Google search on this, attached is a document that appeared
> on PositionIT.
>
> It seems to suggest that indeed the coordinates are in Cape Feet.
>
> I am also sure also that other people who have better knowledge on this
> will also help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sindile Bidla
> Tel: 043 735 0847
> Fax: 086 500 1878
> Cell: 082 340 8538
> web: www.geoilocate.co.za
>
> On 2016/02/26 3:39 PM, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a 1946 SG diagram that states 'Cape Feet' as the unit of
> measurement for its lengths, but it says 'System Lo 19°' above its
> list of coordinates.
>
> Would the coordinates therefore also be in Cape Feet?
>
> The diagram is attached.
>
> Thanks
> Hanlie

Elizmay Vos

MSc (Geoinformatics: US)

SACNASP Candidate Natural Scientist (Geospatial Science)

FRGS (Fallow in Royal Geographical Society)