[OSGeo Africa] Environmental Science's graduate with GIS

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Jul 12 08:14:21 PDT 2016

Hi

Another thing you could do Percy is share your CV with some friendly GIS folks (like the people who hang out on this list) and ask them to review it. If you have been sending out your CV with no replies there are likely 2 possibilities:

1) Your CV does not serve as a good advertisement for you
2) You have been sending it for jobs which you are not (yet) suitable for

So asking someone friendly but who won't hold back on telling you how to improve it could be a great idea. Speaking as someone who regularly looks at CV's I would give you these suggestions:

1) Don't leave any 'time holes' in your CV - account for every year of your life since you left school
2) Make sure every word on your CV is carefully crafted, correctly spelled, meticulously laid out. Your CV is the only thing the reviewer has to go on and if they get a sloppy CV they will think you are sloppy...and won't want to hire you...
3) If you don't have much work experience, show things that you have done in your own time. If you have been looking for a job for 18 months, you have had 18 months to do something awesome with GIS that you can show off. Put those things in your CV so that the reviewer can see you are really motivated and not just 9-5'ing in your chosen career.
4) Get involved in communities like this mailing list - help people when they have questions, ask questions when you get stuck, share the cool stuff you have done so that when people receive your CV they will already know who you are. Plus you will build your skills and make yourself more hireable.

Best of luck with your job search!

Regards

Tim

> On 12 Jul 2016, at 9:54 PM, Percy Radebe <percyradebe8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good day,
>
> I am Percy Radebe from Pinetown, in KwaZulu-Natal. I finished my BSc in Environmental Sciences (Life Stream) in 2014 and I have been looking for employment, in particular Graduates Programmes for the past 18 months now and no response I have ever received from the applications I submitted.
>
> I am urging to peers to refer me to organizations that are currently looking for graduates with GIS and does not have hands-on experience in Science field. Can in it be a temporal position or permanent position, I am fine with either one.
>
> I hope you find the above in order.
>
> Thanking you,
>
> Percy Radebe
> 078 179 2271