[OSGeo Africa] Municipal boundary demarcation

Mike Caister Mike.Caister at drdlr.gov.za
Wed Jul 20 05:45:15 PDT 2016

Good afternoon,

I interviewed a Municipal Demarcation Board employee called Elisabeth (I have forgotten her surname) on 24 Jan 13, and received the following answers:

•        Demarcation boundaries follow cadastral boundaries, unless the boundary is through an area where cadastral boundaries are scarce, in which case some recognisable physical feature will be used.
•        Cadastral datasets from the Surveyors General are used as the source of cadastral boundaries

BUT

•        The Demarcation Board digitises the SG data (obviously this process introduces errors)
•        The SG data used may not be the latest data (this means that corrections and new consolidations will not be accounted for).

Legislation exists to avoid an owner of one land parcel having to pay rates to two municipalities. In cases where the municipal boundary divides one parcel into two municipalities, the onus is on the land owner to apply to have the municipal boundary changed, so that the whole parcel is situated in one municipality only.

Sorry, but I cannot provide you with the legislation on which the above is based.

Please also bear in mind that the 2016 boundaries come into effect after the upcoming election, and that there are significant changes in the data.

Regards,

Mike Caister

Spatial Database Manager
Survey Technician ST1397
Office of the Surveyor General: KwaZulu-Natal
300 Pietermaritz Street
PO Box 396
Pietermaritzburg
3200