[OSGeo Africa] FOSS4G 2016 - travel grants / Call for Submissions

till.adams at foss4g2016.org till.adams at foss4g2016.org
Sat Mar 5 01:53:36 PST 2016

Hi FOSS4G Africa!

I am Till Adams, the chair of the next main OSGeo event, FOSS4G 2016 in
Bonn. In the past weeks I did some efforts in setting up a travel grant
programme, dedicated to people, who want to join FOSS4G in Bonn, but
can't afford all travel- and overnight costs and also the conference
fee. So we want to offer more or less the same as the 2015-team did:
http://2015.foss4g.org/attending/travel-grants/

Looks like there will be a general solution as part of a FOSS4G demands
from 2017 on, I brought that into the conference committee and there is
a broad support for this idea.
Nevertheless, that does not help us for this year. So our plans are to
get a special amount of money for this programme as guarantee from OSgeo
for this year, that's already in motion and I go to contact the board
for this soon. Also we plan to offer attendees to pay on a voluntary
base an extra amount of money, that we'll add to the programmes
dedicated money.

Second we have one person in our team, whose job is to collect
sponsor-money for this grant programme from other places, such as
development aid, companies (e.g. Google) and so on. For us as newbies in
this field, it is quiet difficult to find the correct people to talk
with. So that's my first question to you: Does anyone of you have any
ideas who to contact for requesting funding for this? So please just
give me a hint on this.

My next appeal is, that anybody interested in participating in this
programme should send an email to us (info at foss4g2016.org), so we can
put you on the list. We'll come out with more details on this soon. But
declaration of intent would help us to get an idea on how many people
are interested in general.

Last point is just a hint: Call for submissions for FOSS4G 2016 is still
open until march, 21st.

Find details here:
http://2016.foss4g.org/programme.html

and here:
http://2016.foss4g.org/home.html#breaking-news

So, please spread the word, we, LOC Bonn would love to have as many
attendees from all over the world as possible!

Regards, Till Adams