[OSGeo Africa] Georeferencing or overlaying old aerial photograph with cadastre

Aslam Parker Aslam.Parker at drdlr.gov.za
Wed Nov 16 22:47:33 PST 2016

Hi

Please let me clarify :)

NGI standard orthorectification is a rigorous process that uses high resolution aerial imagery, post processed external orientation parameters, precise camera models, photo ground control, rigorous bundle block adjustment, digital elevation models and individual orthorectification, mosaicking, colour balancing and cutting into tiles, and finally compression.

When I said we do it all the time, I was referring to numerous requests for add-hoc georeferencing of our historical imagery, especially for land restitution. As you are aware, our digital orthorimagery only dates back to 1990's but we have historical aerial imagery dating back to 1926. In this case we often use the rubber sheeting method, but are aware of its limitations. We are looking into software that is specifically suited for orthorectification of historical imagery using DEM and patch rectification.

I trust that this clarifies matters.