[OSGeo Africa] Reconstruction old SG diagrams

Aslam Parker Aslam.Parker at drdlr.gov.za
Mon Feb 20 02:59:07 PST 2017

Hi Hanlie

The coordinates that you have attached are in a local system. There is no ways of transforming it without common points in the National Control Survey System.

You have a few choices:

If the farm/diagram has not consolidated and still exist, then the spatial data from the SG would be a good approximation (if you just need a rough idea).

If you need accurate coordinates, I would recommend you ask a Land Surveyor.

If you attempt to reconstruct this property more accurately, you will need common points in the NCSS and transform from a local system to the SA Coordinate system. However you have to know how to transform not only from local systems to national systems, but also from Cape Datum to Hartebeesthoek94.

I hope this assists