[OSGeo Africa] City of Johannesburg datasets

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Wed Feb 14 06:14:49 PST 2018

On 14 February 2018 at 08:08, Hugo Paul <hugo at mhpgeo.co.za> wrote:

> I’ve bought data from the COJ previously

I find it extremely distasteful that CoJ charge mega $$$ for the data
and restricts its use with contacts.

The data has already been paid for its primary purpose (the operating
of the municipality) by tax payers.

Even the basic address point data is locked away, although they
offered to bundle it if I bought another dataset.

I was quoted an insane cost for aerial imagery.

The extreme financial & legal barriers to entry kills innovation and startups.

City of Cape Town on the other hand was mostly easy to work with...
I made: https://coct.aerial.openstreetmap.org.za/

NGI aerial I created:
http://aerial.openstreetmap.org.za/
Others have created interesting things using NGI datasets:
https://htonl.dev.openstreetmap.org/twk/

Kind regards,

Grant