[OSGeo Africa] GIS Township Data for SA

Aslam Parker Aslam.Parker at drdlr.gov.za
Fri Jan 11 04:36:37 PST 2019

Hi Charles

Please note that the word “township” means different things in different contexts

Township from a cadastral point of view is a collective of properties surveyed, framed and registered as a general plan/s and the name of the township is often that of the allotment township.

The Land Survey Act 8 of 1997 defines a township as”
'township' means a group of pieces of land, or of subdivisions of a piece of land, which are combined with public places and are used mainly for residential, industrial, business or similar purposes, or are intended to be so used;
The SG  is obviously the first port of call http://www.csg.dla.gov.za/.. Whether it is Sandton or Soweto, these are all townships.

To non-surveyors, township and location usually refer to the often underdeveloped segregated urban areas that, from the late 19th century until the end of apartheid, were reserved for non-whites, namely Indians, Africans and Coloureds. I am not aware of a single  source of this information. Areas previously reserved for non-whites typically consists of formally surveyed and registered areas and informal settlements.
One starting point would be NGI “residential Land Use layer”, and bring in additional information from various mucipalities and perhaps Depart Human Settlements.