[OSGeo Africa] What software is currently used in South Africa tertiary institutions

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sun Mar 10 01:26:09 PST 2024

Hi Sindile,
If you state the reason for your query, you might get more useful or
relevant answers.

(So lets see how useful my response is 😕  )

One does not go to a learning institution (as in University) to learn a
SW product.
The usage of any SW product is incidental to what you are being taught.
(So prior knowledge of which SW they base their studies upon, is not
useful to you)
To learn a product, go to the product supplier.

If your query to this list is because you want to register with SAGC, then:
(Register as "In Training" before you start/continue your studies.)

  * If you have not started studying, pick an SAGC accredited course.
  * If you are partially through your studies, then look on the SAGC
    website to find a Table with the required course *_content_* as
    needed for the different types and levels of registration.
      o Compare the *_content_* of your completed courses against the
        content required for registration.
      o  From this you will see what _*content*_ (and subjects) you are
        missing and thus need to complete before you can register.
      o Then choose appropriate courses to gain credits in your missing
        content.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Zoltan

On 2024/03/10 11:27, Sindile Bidla via Africa wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Does anyone know what software is used by various South African
> tertiary institutions that offer a qualification in GIS whether it is
> accredited by SAGC or not.
> Are students exposed to both desktop and server tools during their
> studies?
>
> An internet search revealed the following institutions offer GIS in
> their curricula
>
> SAGC Accredited
> University of Cape Town
> University of Stellenbosch
> University of Pretoria
> Cape Peninsula University of Technology
>
> Others
> University of Johannesburg
> University of South Africa
> University of Venda
> University of Fort Hare
> Nelson Mandela University
> University of KwaZulu Natal
> University of Free State
> North West University
> University of Witwatersrand
>
> Thank you for your feedback.
>
> Regards,
> Sindile

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Director, Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

Cape Town, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028 (Signal, not WhatsApp)
         +974-5058-8729
         +36-20-4808362

www.geograph.co.za