[OSGeo-Announce] GeoNode Graduation

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Wed Nov 9 00:15:08 PST 2016

The OSGeo Foundation is pleased and proud  to announce that the
GeoNode project has graduated from incubation and is now a full
fledged OSGeo project. Jeffery Johnson, a long time member of the
GeoNode Project Steering Committee (PSC) has been appointed as Project
Officer.

GeoNode is a web-based application and platform for developing
geospatial information systems (GIS) and for deploying spatial data
infrastructures (SDI). It is designed to be extended and modified, and
can be integrated into existing platforms. Geonode is Open Source,
released under an GPL license, and runs on all major platforms
(Windows, Linux, Mac OS X).

The project powers numerous global initatives such as, WorldMao
(worldmap.harvard.edu/), MapStory (www.mapstory.org/), Risiko/SAFE, UN
World Food Program (geonode.wfp.org/), EU JRC
(geonode.jrc.ec.europa.eu/) and more (see
http://geonode.org/gallery/).

Graduating incubation includes fulfilling requirements for open
community operation, a responsible project governance model, code
provenance, and general good project operation. Graduation is the
OSGeo seal of approval for a project and gives potential users and the
community at large an added confidence in the viability and safety of
the project.

The GeoNode Project Officer, Jeffery Johnson says, "The entire GeoNode
Development team is delighted to have our project join the ranks of
leading Open Source GIS software and become part of the OSGeo family.
We look forward to working with OSGeo to further the adoption of these
tools around the world."

David Bitner, mentor of the incubation process says: "As the mentor
for the GeoNode incubation process, it is exciting to welcome the
entire GeoNode team as an official OSGeo project. It has been exciting
to work with such a vibrant and diverse community through the
incubation process. I look forward to seeing the continued growth of
the project for many years to come."

OSGeo and Geonode PSC would also like to thank Jody Garnett and
Angelos Tzotsos for their assistance during this incubation process.

Congratulations to the GeoNode community!

Venkatesh Raghavan
President, OSGeo Foundation