[OSGeo-Announce] OSGeo Live: Moving to Transifex - step 2 - Battle testing

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 24 04:00:49 PDT 2017

Dear OSGeo members and contributors,

We are excited to announce that after many months work, we have set up the
Transifex platform to run OSGeo-Live translations [1], and we want help
battle testing it in several languages.

Transifex will hugely simplify and improve the sustainability of our
translation experience (over our previous manual spreadsheet / git / .rst
process).

It offers machine translation.
It provides a review process.
It shows us what is changed in the English doc version.
It shows translation progress

What is involved

We describe what to do in our first draft of the translator guide [2]. For
testing the infrastructure, translated files are needed. You can translate
based on the priority mark, or on the amount of lines to be translated, or
complete a translation that someone else started, or start with your own
project. Note that we already marked files that don't need translation.

Please tell us if the guide makes sense. (The guide is probably more for a
reviewer than for a translator.) If the images below don't show in your
mail, they are included in our translator guide [2]

They are mark with a red >> on the left.

Link to image: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGEo-Live_transifex_01_
index.png

After that testing phase, we will work on translating included projects,
where people from the projects can help us.

Those files generally start by overview-- or quickstart-- and are mark with
an orange >

Link to image: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGEo-Live_transifex_02_
second_priority.png

The files marked with a green dash don't need to be translated (and would
be retired at some point).

Link to image: https://wiki.osgeo.org/images/thumb/9/95/OSGEo-Live_
transifex_03_retired_files.png/500px-OSGEo-Live_
transifex_03_retired_files.png

Best way to start is to filter for v11 files and descending priority:

Link to image: https://wiki.osgeo.org/images/thumb/3/3c/OSGEo-Live_
transifex_04_priority.png/500px-OSGEo-Live_transifex_04_priority.png

As you can see on the dashboard [3], we already have 8 languages registered
waiting for translators:

- finnish
- french
- german
- greek
- japanese
- polish
- spanish
- Mexican spanish

If you can help us translating those languages, or help us with another,
please create an account on transifex and join us.

Pro. tip: you can copy/paste translations from current documentation [4] or
from github [5] and check whether it still fits in with the string to
translate.

If you have any question, please join us through the Transifex platform, on
IRC or on the OSGeo-Live mailing list [6].

Best regards,

Vicky Vergara and Nicolas Roelandt

OSGeo-Live team

[1] https://www.transifex.com/osgeo/osgeolive/