[AtlanticCanada] OSM and OSGeo

Timothy Astle timothy.astle at caris.com
Mon Jul 5 12:36:43 EDT 2010

I've subscribed to the list.  Hopefully I'll hear from some fellow NB
mappers soon. :-)

This is a link to a description of the product that we have that
supports OSM as a base map.
http://www.caris.com/products/sfe/SFE-Viewer/ We should have a live link
in the near future.

I'd be interested in learning more details about this effort and the
tools available to contribute to this living map. Last year during the
OSGeo meeting in Vancouver, Peter Batty gave a recap of an OSM
conference he attended in Europe.  (This was an unscheduled briefing
because the planned teleconference failed to work.)   I'd really like to
have a more technical overview of the system at some point.  I've read
various articles via Slashgeo, but it's still rather piecemeal in my head.

On a theoretical note, there is an interesting chapter in "Rethinking
Maps:  New Frontiers in Cartographic Theory"
(http://www.routledge.com/books/Rethinking-Maps-isbn9780415461528) that
had some interesting thoughts on social mapping.

Tim