[AtlanticCanada] "I need a map..."

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jul 23 11:29:10 EDT 2010

Bernie,

The committed development teams for this year's WMS benchmarking
exercise are:

   Cadcorp
   Constellation-SDI
   Erdas Appolo
   GeoServer
   MapGuide Open
   Mapnik
   MapServer
   Oracle MapViewer
   QGIS mapserver

Yes it was unfortunate that groups pulled out last year, but what
happens is that teams commit, and then time passes and when it comes
near the deadline they realize that they need more resources, but are
unable to move resources from normal tasks to this exercise.  It may
also occur at this year's event.

I did speak with the ESRI ArcServer team lead this year again, but they
were unable to allocate necessary resources for our 2010 exercise; ESRI
is fact is very involved in the FOSS4G event, through sponsorship,
booth, presenters, and I know that they will one day again participate
in the benchmarking exercise.

Just for the record, here are some relevant links:

2010 exercise home: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Benchmarking_2010
2009 results presentation:
http://www.slideshare.net/gatewaygeomatics.com/wms-performance-shootout

-jeff

PS. yes I know all too well the importance of configuration and its
impact on performance for mapping servers.  I would be more than willing
to talk to your group about this someday, and show them the speed of
MapServer :)

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/