[Aust-NZ] Bid strategy for '09 FOSS4G conference

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 19:40:28 EDT 2007

I've been putting thought into how open Aust-NZ should be in building
its FOSS4G '09 bid.

Advantages of being secretive:
* Other cities don't get our ideas and copy them.
* Other cities don't see our price and undercut us by a small margin.
* Other cities see our ideas and counter them.

Advantages of being open:
* We visibly demonstrate to the selectors that we have a powerful
community behind our bid.
* If our good ideas are copied, then OSGeo as a whole benefits.
* Openness is a fundamental principle of OSGeo and Open Source in
general and should be valued very highly by selectors.
* Consequently, other cities are likely to follow our lead and develop
an Open bidding process, which will bring us all back to a level playing
field.

So I propose:
1. We should be open about all organisational details, (where, who,
what, dates, etc).
2. We should be secretive about specific prices until bid is put in.
Pricing can be discussed openly in general terms, but not the final details.

Technically, I see us using a public email list for most discussions
(this list will probably do the trick), a private list for sensitive
discussions, and a public and private wiki to collaboratively build our
documentation and thoughts.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts on this matter (international
lurkers are welcome to chime in - just identify yourself as outside
Australia/New Zealand).