[Aust-NZ] Re: Status Update and Action Required ; FOSS4G 2009 Bid!

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 20:33:19 EST 2007

Marie-Claire,
I expect to have some time toward the end of the week to review and
provide content to your bid document.

I've also been talking with Jeff Waugh of Linux Australia fame who was
very enthusiastic. He will be a great drawing card for the bid, and
sounds like he is interested in helping out.

Marie-Claire Henry wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> A Quick update and action required by you the committee:
>
> - *Agreement on Dates* : The dates proposed by The Centre can only be
> held for a couple of weeks until we request one or two sets of dates
> maximum to be tentatively held by the Centre.  I can also follow up
> with the other venues being considered to check availability once I
> have the preferred dates.
>
> *Venue Proposals*
> We have a proposal from The Convention Centre but meeting space for
> conferences of this size are at a premium in Sydney and therefore it
> is important that we secure space sooner rather than later, so that we
> are not disappointed.  Therefore I need to advise them of your
> preferred dates.
> Proposals have also been requested from Sydney Showground, Acer Arena
> and Telstra Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park.
> Once the proposals are received, it is preferable that the committee
> decide which venue we will be bidding with, which one will win the bid
> for us.  This does not commit you to the bid venue in any way.  We can
> put some general information on a range of meeting venues but I
> believe it offers a much stronger proposal if we are basing the bid on
> one preferred venue for the conference itself.
>
> *Meeting with PCO*
> The conference organisers are the professionals and are the best
> possible resource for guidance on practicalities, such as
> financing. Cameron, can I proceed with setting this up?  Perhaps
> others that are interstate can be involved by teleconference if
> required?  They may also be able to provide further advice about
> setting up as a legal entity.
>
> *Bid Document*
> A link to the draft was emailed a couple of weeks for review, content
> to be added on the local committee and industry, showcasing the
> industry in Australia and suggested themes or unique program additions
> that will make the conference enticing to the decision makers.  I
> haven't received any feedback to date.
> Also, to update you on the letters of support I have received so far
> and that we will add into the document :
> - Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria (Thanks Bruce!)
> - Tourism Australia
> - Lord Mayor of Sydney
> - MD, SCVB
>
> I have also contacted Victoria Tourism and also Convention Centre.  I
> would recommend that we do not depend on any information provided but
> a bonus if we receive any valuable feedback back from them in time to
> include with the bid.
>
> I look forward to feedback.
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Marie-Claire
>
> *Marie-Claire Henry*
> *Bid Executive*
>
> Sydney Convention and Visitors Bureau
> Level 13  80 William St Sydney NSW 2011 Australia
> Tel: 61 2 9332 5224 Fax: 61 2 9360 1223
> mhenry at scvb.com.au <mailto:mhenry at scvb.com.au>

> [...]

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Software