Fw: [Aust-NZ] Incorporation of Aust-NZ chapter

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Sun Apr 6 19:13:29 EDT 2008

IMO:

Hamish,

I personally think that the DebianGIS project is one of the key OS Spatial
intergration activities going on at the moment and will open up easy
access to these apps to many people.

For the uninitiated I vaguely recall that around 50% of Linux
distributions have been derived from Debian (including Ububtu) and should
be able to use the DebianGIS work.

Welcome aboard OSGeo-AustNZ. Its good to have you here!

Bruce

Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
Sent by: aust-nz-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
07/04/2008 06:16 AM

Bruce Bannerman <bruce at bannerman.id.au>
cc
Aust-NZ OSGeo <Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject
Re: Fw: [Aust-NZ] Incorporation of Aust-NZ chapter

Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Are you the same Hamish who has been busy packaging OS spatial apps
> with the Debian GIS project?

Hi Bruce,

yes, that's me. I help out with DebianGIS a bit (make no mistake-
Francesco Lovergine does the bulk of the hard work there), but my main
OSS focus is as a core devel for GRASS GIS. which due to integration
means that to a much lesser extent I also dabble in QGIS, GDAL, PROJ.4,
GpsDrive, Gpsd, [general OSGeo], development too. This year I'm helping
out as a GRASS/OSGeo mentor for Google's Summer of Code.

But not to be confused with Hamish Moffatt who is a well known Debian
devel.

In my other life I'm really a contract modeler and oceanographer
specializing in fjords, but through a quirk of office allocation my lab
for the last 8 years has been in the Otago University's School of
Surveying (ie NZs only surveying school) which means I have a lot of
interaction with "real" geodesy and cartography researchers. Over the
years I've also been present at a number of the Spatial Information
Research Center (SIRC) Colloquiums here, which is an annual (mostly)NZ
clan gathering for geospatial researchers. I've worked on some contracts
mapping underwater habitats for NZ's Ministry for the Environment and
Dept of Conservation wrt marine reserves too.

.... Circles are small, so I tend to pop up here and there on a number of
fronts.

regards,
Hamish Bowman

Notice: