[Aust-NZ] DebianGIS (was - Incorporation of Aust-NZ chapter)

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon Apr 7 21:54:58 EDT 2008

IMO:

Thanks for the comment Roald,

I agree.

Lets see where this goes here first.

I submitted the post to the AustNZ list as I understand that there are a
number of people on the list who are new to OSGeo and Open Source.

I was hoping that we could use the thread to show how people could become
involved in a project.

...besides, I'd like to know how to go about getting involved in the
DebianGIS project myself (for future reference)   ;-).

Bruce

Roald de Wit <roald.dewit at lisasoft.com>
Sent by: aust-nz-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
08/04/08 09:12 AM

Bruce Bannerman <bruce at bannerman.id.au>
cc
Aust-NZ OSGeo <Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject
Re: [Aust-NZ] DebianGIS (was - Incorporation of Aust-NZ chapter)

Bruce,

Maybe you want to take this thread to OSGEO Discuss? You'll probably
reach a bigger audience and increase the chance of finding people that
can assist the DebianGIS team.

Regards,

Roald

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 07:49 +1000, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> (thread renamed)
>

> From observation, the DebianGIS team is trying to get as much done as
> possible before the new version of Debian is released (?later this
> year?).
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis
>
> They are working to a tight schedule and from what I can see would
> welcome additional help (Hamish, would you like to comment further
> here).
>
> I understand that QGIS is currently at threat and may/has been removed
> from the development version of Debian.
>
> While I would like to help, I'm not currently in a position to take on
> any more work.
>
> Is anyone else in a position to help the DebianGIS team?
>

> Hamish, could you please post a message outlining how people could get
> involved and start helping the DebianGIS team? Are there any priority
> areas that need work?
>

> Bruce Bannerman
>

> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 06:37 +1000, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> > Nice to hear your background Hamish.
> >
> > Extending Bruce's comments:
> > One of our risk items for the FOSS4G2009 conference is having all
> > computers in the labs configured with an OSGeo stack that can be
> > demonstrated from.
> >
> > This could be solved if everyone came to the labs with pre-configured
> > laptops, be they windows or linux based. So having OSGeo packaged into

> > the Linux distributions would be very helpful.
> >
> > Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:
> > >
> > > IMO:
> > >

> > > Hamish,
> > >

> > > I personally think that the DebianGIS project is one of the key OS
> > > Spatial intergration activities going on at the moment and will open

> > > up easy access to these apps to many people.
> > >
> > > For the uninitiated I vaguely recall that around 50% of Linux
> > > distributions have been derived from Debian (including Ububtu) and
> > > should be able to use the DebianGIS work.
> > >

> > > Welcome aboard OSGeo-AustNZ. Its good to have you here!
> > >

> > > Bruce

Roald de Wit
Software Engineer
roald.dewit at lisasoft.com

Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/

Notice:

contained in this email.