Fw: [Aust-NZ] Incorporation of Aust-NZ chapter [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Apr 8 00:34:18 EDT 2008

--- "Roppola, Antti - BRS" <Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au> wrote:

> How about a laptop with a VNC client connecting to student accounts on
> one decent server?
>
> VNC would be simpler for participants to set up.
>
> Size of datasets would need to be moderated to avoid eating all the IO.
>
> IBM seemed to have loaned servers in road cases to support another event
> I have been to,
> though the expectation was for tutorial students to BYO pre-configured
> tutorial setup.

I found NX even easier & faster than VNC, free client but commercial server, or
at least when I tried it. The FOSS version may work better by now too.

Or try Novell for Suse servers or Fujitsu for Postgres support? Both sometimes
help sponsor such events.

What can also help is providing an easy to install setup on CD with the
software required. eg: a disk with the Debian:GIS debs, Suse/Fedora RPM's & Win
installs
that can be downloaded as an ISO, & can be provided on the day. Even a LiveDVD
with all the apps running from it. I did this with QGIS/PostGIS/GRASS a few
years back, a bit sluggish, but still worked OK with 256Mb RAM on a Celeron
cpu.

Brent Wood