[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G Architectures/options for Distributed DBs

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Tue Apr 15 21:18:27 EDT 2008

IMO:

Shaun,

It's good to see the post. We have a good cross section of skills here
that we should be able to leverage.

Can I suggest that you also have a look at what SpatialVision have done
with BioSIRT? They're splicing together a solution using proprietary and
Open Source products for serving up spatial data via OGC Web Services.

http://www.spatialvision.com.au/html/r_biosirt-deploy.htm

Ben / Ian, would you like to comment?

Bruce Bannerman

"Shaun Kolomeitz" <Shaun.Kolomeitz at epa.qld.gov.au>
Sent by: aust-nz-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
16/04/2008 07:26 AM

<aust-nz at lists.osgeo.org>
cc

Subject
[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G Architectures/options for Distributed DBs

I posted this to the PostGIS group yesterday, but it is perhaps more
appropriate for OsGeo.

I'm curious as to what the broader community thinks would be a workable
solution for our spatial business problem from a FOSS4G perspective.

We have a broad area network of around 600 clients spread across an area
of 1500 x 1900 km in the State of Queensland, Australia. Primarily our
clients are Rangers and Resource Managers, managing their "patch of
dirt" (Flora, Fauna, Fire, Pests, Assets, Visitor, Camping, Heritage,
etc).
150 or so users are located on remote Satellite connections (with
latency issues) reducing to 50 by the end of the year. The rest are
split between NextG, ADSL and WAN type connections. Satellite
connections in particular may not be available in bad weather
conditions. Even those located in regional centres say that performance
isn't great on their WAN connection.

In the past we've had ArcView 3.x as a custom client app running locally
with local data and now we're looking to the future.
The system is used in the office as a planning tool for field activities
(such as a new fence, fire break, pest treatment) before heading out
into the paddock.
Users collect (capture) a variety of information while in the field
relating to the above activities mentioned (Fire, Pests, Assets etc)
currently with a GPS, and then translate the GPS files to shapes with
attributes added from a handwritten notebook. The shapes are then
imported into the Parks based GIS and sent as zipped shapefiles via
email through our network of contacts twice a year to head office. At
the moment only Fire and Pest info is sent, although we'd like users
around the state to be more collaborative (from a data sense).

The only real givens are that we'll have a corporate GIS repository
storing all corporate data in an Oracle SDE db in head office, and that
the users will be taking data with them into the field (no connection to
ANY network).
I'm pretty sure we'll be using ArcPad as our field-based app (on
handhelds and tablets/laptops).

The current recommended proprietary approach has fairly hefty license
costs attached to it plus development. Also we're running to meet a
deadline of Dec this year, so things are getting to panic stations.

Our main business problems are -
1) Providing a simple to use system which acts as a "portal" to a range
of spatial and non-spatial data and systems relevant to the users patch
2) Simplifying (or automating) the update of data to/from the park base
to the head office
3) Managing data as it is "checked-out" for field use and then
"checked-in" after it comes back, while not providing too much of an
overhead for the users
4) Providing a basic GIS ability (similar to ArcView 3.x)
5) Providing a means of integrating information in other datasets (fire,
pests) and across other dbs (WildLife db) or applications (Assets, etc)
6) Providing multi-user access to individual datasets
7) Providing redlining, markup and a collaboration type ability
8) Providing a standard look-and-feel to any client
9) Providing a solution in the time required

I'm happy to discuss further if need be.
As always any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
We are trying to work on a response to our executive within 10 days.

Kind regards,
Shaun Kolomeitz,
Senior Technical Officer
Business and Asset Services
Queensland Parks and Wildlife Division
Environmental Protection Agency
Ph (07) 3227 6280
Think B4U Print
1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere
3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water
_________________________
Disclaimer

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) has originated from a
Queensland Government department and may contain information that is
confidential, private, or covered by legal professional privilege, and may
be protected by copyright.

You may use this e-mail only if you are the person(s) it was intended to
be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is allowed to
use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print or copy this
e-mail without appropriate authority.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please inform the sender immediately by phone or e-mail and delete
this e-mail, including any copies, from your computer system network and
destroy any hardcopies.

Unless otherwise stated, this e-mail represents the views of the sender
and not the views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer
viruses, the Environmental Protection Agency provides no warranty that all
viruses have been detected and cleaned. Any use of this e-mail could harm
your computer system.  It is your responsibility to ensure that this
e-mail does not contain and is not affected by computer viruses, defects
or interference by third parties or replication problems (including
incompatibility with your computer system).

E-mails sent to and from the Environmental Protection Agency will be
electronically stored, managed and may be audited, in accordance with the
law and Queensland Government Information Standards (IS31, IS38, IS40,
IS41 and IS42) to the extent they are consistent with the law.

Notice:

contained in this email.