[Aust-NZ] Live CDs for the FOSS4G conference and DebianGIS

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Fri Apr 18 00:05:46 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robert Coup wrote:
>  > Realise that the Cadastral/Topo stuff from LINZ are in proprietary
>  > ASCII formats, so they can't just be loaded into PostGIS or uDig. And
>  > Cadastral stuff is a DB dump - its 80+ tables (iirc) with only a small
>  > spatial component.
>
>  How "proprietary" are we talking here? Is the specification known?
>  ie is it unknown or just unusual? Is that "can't just be loaded" from a
>  technical (wrong layout) or fundamental (square peg into round hole)
>  meaning?  ASCII is good.

Topo is in LSLIFF, which is specified but pretty damn odd and full of quirks.
The Cadastral stuff is LINZ-specific but well documented.
Docs for both are on the LINZ site.

>  It seems to be PostgreSQL/PostGIS would be the strongest candidate for a
>  target. (I'd guess Brent could answer that much better than me though...)

Our scripts load stuff into PostGIS, then data validation, cleanup,
and other stuff happens there.

>  A FOSS license for the conversion scripts would benefit all of course. :)

I'll talk to the others here about open-sourcing the scripts we have
for processing the raw data into PostGIS tables.

Rob :)
--
Koordinates Ltd. (formerly One Track Mind)
PO Box 1604, Shortland St, Auckland 1140, New Zealand