[Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Apr 27 00:17:39 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering about the possibility having OSGEO host an NZ wide dataset of
topo/cadastral/road centerline/aerial imagery/TLA boundaries, EEZ....
and use it as a demo with OSGEO tools.
(probably PostGIS/mapserver/openlayers/geonetwork?).

I mentioned this to Tyler Mitchell, currently the OSGEO secretary, to get a
feeling of whether or not OSGEO would be interested, and got back an
enthusiastic yes. Which doesn't guarantee anything, but is promising.

The advantage we have is that as a small country, a national dataset is
manageable, in fact smaller than that for some cities (imagery aside). It could
make a good showcase for OSGEO.

So is the Aust-NZ chapter of OSGEO in a position of being able to supply these
data, and if we are, are we interested as a body in approaching OSGEO formally
with a proposal?

Is anyone else here able to assist with the development of such a site?

Assuming we are interested, I figure we may be able to supply the following
datasets:

NZTOPO, incl coastlines
road centrelines
national cadastre
maritime boundaries (fishing areas, reserves, territorial sea & EEZ)
TLA boundaries
Electoral boundaries
LINZ ortho imagery (only 40% coverage- is anything better available?)

Can anyone confirm being able to provide a reasonably current version of any of
these, or add any datasets I've missed?

I figure we should ensure we are in a position to provide these data and help
implement the site before proposing anything formally.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood