[Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon May 19 05:02:55 EDT 2008

Hi all,

As an update on where this is at; there is one change to the LINZ scenario
which impacts on this.

LINZ is now developing a website with the raster & vector topographic data
online. I'm told it will also have maps/data available via WMS/WFS. This will
be several weeks away, and largely replicates what I think we envisaged doing
under OSGEO. The application is being developed with ESRI tools.

This does not preclude the OSGEO initiative moving forward, but from the
perspective of actually getting these NZ geodata online it becomes somewhat
redundant, although a FOSS equivalent may be a useful demonstration.

It does still leave the door open for other LINZ datasets, such as cadastral &
road data to be set up under OSGEO with background topo data via OGC web
services direct from LINZ. This approach would demonstrate the interoperability
of ESRI GIS applications & data with FOSS applications, which may be just as
useful.

I'm still uncertain as to whether the appropriate people in OSGEO:geodata have
decided the LINZ licence for these data is acceptable for such use or not.

Cheers,

 Brent Wood