[Aust-NZ] RE: Finding a way forward - GeoNetwork as platformto support - unclassified [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:58:54 EDT 2008

Bruce,
It is great of you to raise this discussion. Often the hardest part in
solving an issue is to identify what the root cause of the problem is,
and an open discussion like this can be very useful.

To quickly pigeon hole me: I have over 15 years experience as a software
developer, much of which involved working on large military software
projects. In parallel I've also been working on Open Source and Open
Standards Geospatial projects both in my spare time and work. I'm now
Geospatial System's Architect at LISAsoft where we have just been hired
to improve the User Interface to Geonetwork. While LISAsoft has a wealth
of experience in Open Source, OGC Catalogs, and Java, we don't have in
depth knowledge of Geonetwork yet. (I'm planning to address this over
the next couple of months).

Comparing the Geonetwork project to both proprietary and open source
projects I've worked on, I've had the following thorughts:

* From what I can see, we have some good technical developers like Simon
Pigot and Byron Cochrane working on Geonework. I don't want to imply
otherwise in this email.

* Open Source is a new business model with many advantages, but we as an
industry need to learn how to maximise the benefits offered. There needs
to be changes both at the developer level and also from the sponsors in
the way contracts are written and projects are managed.

* Complex software projects like Geonetwork will always have technical
glitches. The challenge is to effectively scope and manage these issues
and upcoming working packages.

* Open Source development is typically very open is its development
process and hence the public have visibility to all project issues very
early, compared to closed shop development who hide these embarrassing
details.

* Successful Open Source projects has contributors from many sponsors
which ensures each sponsor gains more than their own effort. However to
maximise potential, each organisation needs to adjust its management
style. Hierarchical management, focusing just on project deliverables
and not helping others will often ostracize the project from the
community and reduce the project's return on investment. Basically, you
need to give a little if you want help in return.

* Government contracts usually focus on buying "Features". Core project
infrastructure is not directly supported. Proprietary developers address
this by selling multiple licenses to cover core infrastructure
development. Government contracts need to address this. It can be
justified as "Opportunity Management". Ie, If I fund core infrastructure
development now, the project I'm sponsoring will thrive, others will
contribute back to the project, and I will indirectly benefit.

* There has been discussion about the disadvantages of branching.
Branching (in Geonetwork's case) is a direct result of contract
deadlines and quality requirements not matching priorities of other
developers. This is a standard software development solution applied to
both proprietary and open source projects. Branching allows you to have
a stable application and unstable development branch. But it comes at a
hefty management cost.

* Listening to discussions about Geonetwork, it sounds like there has
been a mis-alignment between expectations for product development and
what can actually be achieved. I'm not close enough to the project to
know specifically, but do know of likely causes:
1. For the work being done, the project seems under-resourced.
2. There is a substantial overhead involved in managing multiple
branches of software and keeping them synchronised. This might not have
been acknowledged and factored into budgets.
3. It seems that project management and software development is being
done by the same person (Simon) which again would effect his performance.
4. We as an industry are still learning about the different software
development processes inherent in working with Open Source and are
learning that we need to address different risks in our project management.
5. The scope of the software development required might not have been
appreciated initially, or there might be a case of scope creep during
the project.
6. Developers have probably been involved in important community work
which might not have been included in budgets.

=================

So how can we as Open Source Geospatial developers improve things:

1. Provide an audit of the current state of the Geonetwork project(s).
(This might already have been done)
2. Identify state of the project and provide realistic estimates for
future work.
3. Include costs involved in community involvement and support in work.
4. Question our contract deadlines and determine whether they are
enforcing an excessive overhead on maintaining multiple branches.
5. Educate stakeholders about the real state of our software. It sounds
like the software is in better shape than a "beta" release implies.

As mentioned by others, I'm very keen to see Geonetwork stand out as a
huge success and I believe we can make this happen!