[Aust-NZ] Motivation - [was Finding a way forward - GeoNetwork ... ANZLIC Profile]

Bruce Bannerman bruce at bannerman.id.au
Mon May 26 02:45:07 EDT 2008

Before I submit my next post, I thought that it might be appropriate to
briefly discuss my motivation in initiating this thread (Finding a way
forward - GeoNetwork ...).

In my posts, I'm writing on my own behalf and not on the behalf of my
employer.

First reason:

For the last eighteen months or so, I have been working with a number of
people redesigning our systems. We have looked at strategic decisions to
remove vendor lock-in over time, as well as issues relating to opening
up access to our data resources to industry and public alike.

This work involved substantial effort.

We are now at the stage of implementing the results of this planning.
This will involve a substantial investment in money, time and effort.

One of the key pieces in our puzzle that we are relying on, GeoNetwork
supporting an ANZLIC Profile, is 'not quite there yet but will be ready
in a few weeks'. It has been in this state since at least September last
year.

I doubt that we are the only organisation in Australia or New Zealand
who is in this position.

Second reason:

I believe that GeoNetwork is the right platform for the ANZLIC Profile
work and I applaud ANZLIC's decision to adopt it.

Being an Open Source product, it will allow us all to pool our resources
over time and develop a tool that will handle our requirements.

While we're doing this, we're contributing to the world wide community
of GeoNetwork users. Many of whom are also contributing their efforts to
developing the product as well. We will therefore also benefit from much
of their work.

I have a foot in both camps, ANZLIC and OSGeo. I have also been working
with Open Source software for around seven years or so. I therefore have
some some observations that may be useful to move this forward.

My observations will need to be worked through though.

Therefore, we will need input from you though to make this work.

Bruce Bannerman