[Aust-NZ] New to the list

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 00:22:11 EDT 2009

2009/8/29 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> you may also be interested in the osgeo geodata mailing list,
> and the NZ OpenGIS mailing list. The nzopengis mailing list is
> currently dealing with merging the full NZ govt (LINZ) road+
> data into OSM. Also the gps.org.nz forums are involved with
> that too. check out this trial:
>  http://linz.old-dev.openstreetmap.org/~JoeRichards/
> The main sticking point AFAICT is how to get OSM to attribute
> the data souce (ie a message somewhere about this is Crown
> Copyright, but otherwise you're free to use it however and
> for whatever purpose you wish). So close for so long, and yet....

Yup I'm aware of the LINZ stuff, however I was trying to be tactful
and wasn't sure the best way to just infer Australian data without
upsetting anyone.

To date the ABS is the only government body in Australia to release
data under a favourable license, which is boundaries, state, gazetted
suburbs, postcodes and aboriginal areas. These boundaries can be used
to trace out rivers, railways and major roads in some case and the
information is useful for geo based searching.

However it isn't specifically road or POI data.