[Aust-NZ] Fwd: Where to now? - formal incorporation

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Nov 24 16:27:09 EST 2009

Hi Bruce, etc...

I'm not familiar with the details of the Victorian system, but the defintion of "meetings" in similar situation in NZ is also defined in the deed, and can include video & tele-conferences, IRC, etc, not just physical meetings on one site. Which of these are acceptable within in our organisation is determined by the organisation & specified in the registered documentations for the organisation.

I'm cautiously interested in forming as an affiliate of OSDC, but as we are an international chapter (OZ/NZ?Pacific Is) of an existing international organisation (OSGEO), establishment within the framework of yet another organisation (OSDC) may have issues and almost certainly has complications, and drafting our own purposes & rules/guidelines I think is likely to be prefereable to being bound to someone elses.

And again looking at the international nature of this chapter, does incorporation under the Victorian legislation allow for out of state & non-Australian members & officials? I have not found any such restriction, apart from the "public Official" role, but I note that participation in the management committee under Victorian law entails liability under Victorian law, and out-of-state & overseas committee members may not be able to be held liable under Victorian state law, which could impose restrictions. Some advice in this area is needed,

I know in NZ I was able to call the help line at the appropriate government dept to have these questions answered, hopefully someone local could address this in Victoria?

If we are looking to follow thge Victorian route, this might be useful, a set of model rules which can be adapted for an individual organisations needs (linked to from the Pilch site):

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256EB5000644CE/page/Associations+Clubs+%26+Fundraising-Incorporated+Associations-Rules?OpenDocument&1=05-Associations+Clubs+%26+Fundraising~&2=20-Incorporated+Associations~&3=040-Rules~

Cheers,

   Brent