[Aust-NZ] Melbourne - pub night?

hamish.taylor at dse.vic.gov.au hamish.taylor at dse.vic.gov.au
Wed Jan 20 18:44:52 EST 2010

Hi Jody and everyone

Indeed it was fun! It seems that us Melbourne folks are always up for a
drink :)

In terms of advocacy have a look at the "BarCamp" idea
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BarCamp). A few other sites of interest:
http://vic.au.stixcamp.org/ & http://barcampmelbourne.org/. As you can
see, well sponsored events! In fact, it's my understanding that BarCamp
Melbourne actually refunded particpants fees due to having so much
sponsorship cash. Many of the organisers are involved with Linux Users
Victoria and I am on the LUV Committee, so can point you in their
direction.

I reckon that this kind of concept could work well for GIS related things
and getting developers interested in programming for FOSS GIS
applications.

Kind Regards,

Hamish Taylor
Positioning Regional Victoria Project
Spatial Information Infrastructure Division
Department of Sustainability and Environment
Level 13/570 Bourke Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone: (03) 8636-2894
Mobile: 0428-638-386
Email: hamish.taylor at dse.vic.gov.au

Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
Sent by: aust-nz-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
21/01/2010 10:13 AM

Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
cc
Simon O'Keefe <simon.okeefe at groundtruth.com.au>, aust-nz at lists.osgeo.org
Subject
Re: [Aust-NZ] Melbourne - pub night?

Thanks to everyone for coming out :-) Nice round of beer, scotch and shop
talk.
I would like to follow up some of the advocacy idea when we get a moment
here on the list.

Jody

On 19/01/2010, at 3:26 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Sounds good! Please send the word out it should be a good evening!
> I will have a group of around five with me - I would love to catch up
with the GA people if they can be found :-)